If you or anyone in your household enrolls in a Qualified Health Plan (QHP) through Access Health CT, you will receive a Form 1095-A from Access Health CT. You will need this Form to complete your federal income tax return — even if you did not receive financial help (Advance Premium Tax Credits) or were only enrolled in a QHP for one month. Individuals enrolled in a Catastrophic plan will not receive a Form 1095-A.
Access Health CT mails a 1095-A to the primary tax filer in a household by January 31 of each year. Form 1095-A will have information about the prior coverage year (ex: if you had coverage in 2023, the Form 1095-A will be issued by January 31, 2024).
Did You Know? If you have an online account, you can view or print your Form 1095-A online! Sign in at AccessHealthCT.com and click "Get My Tax Forms."
If you do not receive your Form 1095-A by March 31, 2024, you should consider filing for an extension to file your federal income tax return with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). For most people, the deadline to file their federal income tax return or file for an extension is April 18, 2024.
What is Form 1095-A?
Form 1095-A is a tax form issued by Access Health CT. It is sent to the primary tax filer in a household and will include all members of the household who were enrolled in a Qualified Health Plan.
Form 1095-A shows:
- Who had qualified coverage in your household
- Your household plan information and the monthly payment (known as a premium)
- The amount of money paid to your insurance company to help lower your monthly costs (known as Advance Premium Tax Credits or APTCs).
Who will receive Form 1095-A from Access Health CT?
The primary tax filer in a household, where at least one household member was enrolled in a Qualified Health Plan (QHP) through Access Health CT in the previous calendar year.
Who Will NOT receive a Form 1095-A from Access Health CT?
- Individuals who were enrolled in a Catastrophic Plan through Access Health CT will NOT receive a Form 1095-A for their coverage.
- Individuals who had HUSKY Health Coverage (Medicaid or the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)) can request a Form 1095-B from the Connecticut Department of Social Services, not Access Health CT.
- You should expect a Form 1095-C if you were enrolled in coverage through your employer or through Medicare. If you have questions, please contact your employer or the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
Why is Form 1095-A Important?
Form 1095-A is used by a primary tax filer to:
- Reconcile Advance Premium Tax Credits (APTCs) on their federal income tax return by completing IRS Form 8962, which the IRS uses to determine whether you received the correct amount of Advance Premium Tax Credits (APTCs). Form 8962 can be downloaded on the irs.gov website. Please see a tax professional for help with completing Form 8962.
Where can I find my Form 1095-A?
Sign in to your Access Health CT account and click "Get My Tax Forms". (If you don't find your Form 1095-A, you can also click "Read My Messages" and type "1095" in the search bar to retrieve your Form 1095-A. If you cannot locate your Form, please contact us). You may need to reset your password if it’s been a while since you logged in.
Remember when filing your taxes:
- If you received Advance Premium Tax Credits (APTCs) and you do not file your tax return with Form 8962 to reconcile your APTC amounts, you may not be able to receive APTCs in future years until you complete Form 8962 and file it with your federal tax return.
- If your filing or income information has changed since you applied for health coverage, you may have to pay back some or all of the Advance Premium Tax Credit amounts (financial help) you received.
More About Form 1095-A
When does it arrive?
Each year, Form 1095-A is sent by Access Health CT by January 31 with information about the prior coverage year (ex: For coverage in the year 2023, Form 1095-A will be sent by January 31, 2024). If you do not receive your Form 1095-A by February 15, please contact Access Health CT.
How does it arrive?
Form 1095-A is sent to customers by mail and is made available in their online account.
What should customers do with the form?
Check the information on your Form 1095-A. Make sure the information is up-to-date for everyone covered under your plan. That includes your name, home address, health plan information and Advance Premium Tax Credit amounts (if applicable). If any of the information in Form 1095-A is wrong, please call us at 1-855-805-4325 (TTY users should call 1-855-789-2428 or contact us with a relay operator).
Why do the monthly payments (premiums) on Form 1095-A NOT match the premium bill from your insurance company?
To view or print your Form 1095-A online
Sign in to your Access Health CT account and click "Get My Tax Forms". (If you don't find your Form 1095-A in your inbox, click "Read My Messages" and then type "1095" in the search bar)
You may need to reset your password if it’s been a while since you logged in.
For questions, reprints, or errors in your Form 1095-A
Call us at 1-855-805-4325. If you are deaf or hearing impaired, you may use the TTY at 1-885-789-8424 or contact us with a relay operator.
Online Account Access
If you are locked out of your online account or if you need to create one, you must call us at 1-855-805-4325 (TTY users should call 1-855-789-2428 or contact us with a relay operator).
Some related topics: